Saturday, October 20, 2007

I Don't Want to Know

About 7 years ago, I became a vegan and found a new way of looking at the world. It’s a strange vision, where perfectly polite people ask some very strange questions. When they find out I’m a vegan the first question is always, “what do you eat?” Apparently, if it isn’t in a McDonald’s bag it can’t be food. Americans are accustomed to fast, bland, food. They cannot believe that there is anything else on earth to eat. There is; fruit, vegetables, nuts and grains. In other words, vegans eat a great tasting, varied diet. It’s a healthy lifestyle that doesn’t include McDonald’s drive thru windows.

The next question is always, “Why?” I tell them, because I won’t participate in the suffering of other beings. I can’t think of a time where I got any further because the next statement always is “I don’t want to know.” I don’t want to know, means you know but choose to ignore the truth, that the food you eat is the result of dreadful suffering. By feigning ignorance, people can continue to choose the easy way out, eating without conscience thought to where the food comes from or whether it is actually good for your body. “I don’t want to know” is a statement of complacency and lack of courage. “I don’t want to know” is a symptom of what is wrong with America, refusal to learn, refusal to think, refusal to act with compassion.

My answer to “I don’t want to know” is always the same; I don’t need to tell you since you already know.

No comments: