Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Montcalm County Residents Speak for the Animals

According to the Daily News, Greenville Michigan and WOOD TV in Grand Rapids, more than 40 people attended the Montcalm County Board of Commissioners meeting to speak on behalf of animals. Problems at the shelter ranging from killing dogs that have rescue lined up to a contract with a USDA Class B Research dealer were discussed. Apparently the commissioners hope their plea for patience will mollify the community. Let's hope not.

There is no excuse for what is happening at Montcalm County Animal Control Shelter. Every commissioner and county employee that allows it to continue is just as responsible as the shelter staff. Ignorance cannot be claimed since the voices raised on behalf of animals are finally being heard. www.michanimalnews.com will continue to cover this shelter and bring to light what is happening to animals that are unlucky enough to enter it's doors. Our readers should keep writing and calling the commissioners and let them know that what is happening at the Montcalm County shelter is not acceptable.

Daily News article

WOOD TV coverage

1 comment:

Amy Penney said...

What is wrong with people? I had heard on Wood Radio about this on my way to work earlier this week, and I was physically ill all day about it. I had only heard part of the broadcast, and had thought that they were referring to the Grand Rapids Animal Shelter. Is this an upcoming thing for G.R. as well? WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS? WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THIS? I told my husband today that I would protest on-site. Hands-down. Who can I contact to express both the utter outrage and sorrow I feel to BRING THIS TO A HALT? My husband and I have two rescue dogs that were marked for euthanization,and they are the most wonderful, loving creatures to us. I am actually sobbing as I type, to think that some poor little soul, who had know love from a human once, had been placed in a shelter in the first place. With that being said, and the fact that the individuals working at these sheleters KNOW the fate of these poor animals, I now question the way they are treating the animlas while they are there.
Then I think about animals who were not given a fair shake in life, and have, given human compassion, a chance at happiness for once in their sad little lives.
It is a LOSE/LOSE situation here.
Please, please tell me how I can help.