Saturday, May 3, 2008

Hard To Believe But It's True

When I took a look at the 2007 shelter report filed by the City of River Rouge Animal Shelter I honestly thought it was a mistake. I figured that someone put a number in the wrong place on the form on the MDA website. So I called to confirm the information and for the first time in a long time I was left almost speechless. Yes the shelter kills all the animals, in fact gasses them with CO2. The reason is truly ridiculous and disturbing. In 2001 or 2002 it came to light that River Rouge was selling dogs and cats to Hodgins Kennels Inc, a USDA Class B Research Dealer. The River Rouge City Council heard so many complaints from citizens that it ordered the animal control department to stop selling to research. The animal control officer, being the good employee that he is, decided the only way to be 100% certain that no animals went to research, he would just not adopt any. Listening to his rationalization was difficult.

The reality is, there's not much I can do for the animal control officer. Anger, hateful language and rage will do nothing to help the plight of River Rouge animals. About the only thing that I personally can do is write about what I've learned and get the word out to as many people as possible. Through knowledge and effort we can make positive change for animals. Just take a look at what is happening in Macomb County. Certainly change has been slow, but in just a few short months there has been movement. The same thing can happen in River Rouge. But to do anything, people really need to know about what's happening right under their noses and they must attend City Council meetings and write and call the council members and mayor. Demand that animals be placed for adoption. Demand that immediate action be taken to stop the idiotic killing of pets in River Rouge.

So send this link to everyone you know who lives in the downriver Detroit area and hopefully good people will stand up and be voices for the voiceless animals in River Rouge. http://www.michanimalnews.com/River_Rouge.html Also, please remember that this is my work product. I'm pleased that people are interested and want to help, but if I am not able to get readers on the website or subscribers, I will not be able to continue to do this. So send them to the site, ask them to act.

Also on Sunday look for a new article about why I filed a complaint about 2 shelters with the Michigan Department of Agriculture. If you'd like the article sent to you as soon as it hits the web, then subscribe to www.michanimalnews.com. Just go to the top of this page, click subscribe. The price is obscenely low, just $10 for a 2 year subscription. I appreciate your loyalty and readership.

No comments: